Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY Striped Charger Plates


So the other day I was browsing online for ideas on charger plates for my dining room table. This was my inspiration....
I really like the the stripes on this one

This one is very modern and clean

This is just fabulous...I love the colors!

Unfortunately this is what I had to work with...womp womp! : / I started thinking about what I could do to update the current chargers I owned. These ones looked too plain and boring so most of the time they were stored away. 
                               


So this is what I came up with. I was amazed and happy that they match my spray painted napkin rings



Materials used:

  • 6 charger plates in any color
  • painters tape (1 inch)
  • white semi gloss Krylon spray paint
Quick Note: Charger plates are NOT meant to be eaten off of. Just for decor!

First, you want to start by taping the plate. Add 4 strips of tape across and press down firmly on the tape to ensure there were no openings that would cause the spray paint to seep through. To get even lines you can cut 2 small pieces of tape and place them under each strip of tape that is on the charger. This will help you lay the next strip of tape down evenly and give you even space between the tape.

 Next step is to give the chargers a couple coats of spray paint with ample time to dry between coats. Once dry to touch you can start to slowly strip of the tape from each plate. I left them to dry for 24 hours and then washed them down lightly with soapy water.

This is what the charger looks like with my napkin rings. Second picture shows all the plates on my dining table. : )



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Emily--your charger plates look great! :)
    thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can

    gail

    ReplyDelete